What is Botox?

Botox, or Botulinum toxin, competes with neurotransmitters that communicate between the nerves and muscles. Low doses of the toxin have been used for many years to treat many different nerve or muscle conditions. Dr. Bulloch first used Botulinum toxin to treat severe and uncontrollable clenching of the jaw muscles during his training in 1995.

What does Botox do?

By competing with the neurotransmitters that allow communication between the nerves and the muscles, Botox can stop the movement of very specific target muscles. These are most commonly the muscles in the face that cause wrinkling such as the scowl lines between the eyes, crows feet beside the eyes, and forehead lines. Other uses also include downturned corners of the mouth, chin creases, high smiles, and migraine headaches.

Can Botox freeze my face?

Only in Hollywood! Botox is placed directly into the target muscles in order to avoid involvement of other muscles. Dr. Bulloch has received advanced certification and training in the placement and uses of Botox and uses precise concentrations that are much less likely to spread to unwanted areas. Unwanted results are rare, involve very small areas, and can generally be treated with a small touch-up.

Does Botox really help control migraine headaches?

YES! Botox is very effective for most patients that suffer migraine headaches, especially those bothered by light. Most patients report complete blockage of migraines for the full extent of the Botox treatment (approximately four to six months).

Are Botox treatments painful?

Botox placement involves the use of very small needles to inject the toxin directly into the target muscles. Because of the extremely small size of the needle, the injections are generally not very painful and are usually managed with ice; however, we do offer options for improved comfort including nitrous oxide (laughing gas), and IV sedation.

Isn’t Botulinum toxin a poison?

A poison is a substance that can be damaging to life or health. It all comes down to use and dose. In excessive concentrations, almost any drug or medication including water and oxygen can become a poison. (It is possible to suffer water or oxygen poisoning, each of which can be fatal.) In proper doses, and with proper use, these substances can often be used to great benefit and safety. The use of Botox has been extensively studied and is FDA approved. It is felt to be very safe when properly used.

BEFORE

AFTER